The Grounds Of Alexandria: Nothing Short of Extraordinary


The Grounds of Alexandria has been the talk of the town this past year and rightly so! I came here on a busy Saturday morning and it was bustling like a market. The whole setup was fantastic with the colourful outdoor furniture and plants. Our one hour wait (yes one hour!) was forgivable as it gave us the opportunity to wander around the Grounds and have a look at their pastries and fresh lemonade stalls. Quite a good move on behalf of the restaurant as the restless waiting customers usually had a paper bag of tarts or a cup of lemonade by the time they got into the restaurant. 

In the midst of the glaring sun, I myself was tempted into buying some of the delicious looking lemonade. I had trouble choosing between the original or rose lemonade but settled with the original and I found it hit the spot - nothing like fresh lemonade on a hot day. 
$5 Original or Rose Lemonade: He was nice enough to pose for this photo
Range of House Made Pastries: Hold me back before I grab one
Finally after the wait, we were tucked into the corner of the outdoor area. The waiters were rushing around but when it came to taking our order they were great.  I ordered a skinny cap which was enjoyable but I think in the bustle of the morning rush the barista may have used a cup holding soy milk when he made mine because there was a definite hint of it as I sipped. 

Skinny Cap $4
I ordered the Sweet Pea Fritters because I love fritters and the flavour combo it promised with fresh yoghurt and tomato salad. When it came out I was surprised to find they looked more like falafels but after taking a bite, it made sense. The flavours were quite Mediterranean which was great because it was fresh and packed full of flavour. The fritters weren't dry which is good because I had to ask for another small serving of the yoghurt dressing. 7/10

Sweet Pea Fritters $16: A sophisticated spin on the humble kebab
My friend ordered a Smoked Salmon Board (forgive me, I can't find the menu name for this item). It consisted of smoked salmon, beetroot relish and cheese, cucumber salad and an egg salad. The whole board was finished with gusto as the sourness and freshness of the cucumber, the richness of the egg salad and salmon was delicious with the crispy bread. I found the beetroot relish to be too spiced but otherwise it's a very varied dish that wouldn't disappoint. 7.5/10

Smoked Salmon Board: Requires a bit of  skill to compile all the components. CAUTION: avoid if hungover
This was the item I was going to order because I found Quinoa Rolled Eggs to be a really interesting menu item. I was imagining the eggs to be covered in a quinoa coat, a little like a crispy skin on the outside. However I was disappointed to see that they just sprinkled the quinoa over the top. Moving on from my warped expectations of the name, the dish was very tasty. The peas and beans were fresh and left you feeling satisfied. However, you can call me a cheapass because I felt the dish needed something else besides the boiled eggs to get my money's worth. 7/10
Quinoa Rolled Eggs $16: Let's be real, they aren't rolled in the quinoa
My sweet-toothed best friend ordered the French Toast. The brioche they used was soft and thick which was fantastic with the poached pears and pouring custard. The ratio of poached pear to toast seemed a little on the lacking side which was made obvious when the dish arrived with the pears spaced out around the dish like numbers on a clock. The whole dish was not overpowering with sweetness thanks to the pouring custard but I was not amazed by this particularly dish. 6.5/10

French Toast: Warm and Toasty 
Overall, I really enjoyed my time at The Grounds, so much so, I am keen to return for more breakfast, brunch or lunch. The wait for the table is off-putting but the market setup is enough to keep you occupied. Definitely worth a try!
Rating: 7.5/10


The Grounds of Alexandria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment