Excelsior Jones: Worth the Wait


Salmon Hash $16
 
Walking into Excelsior Jones, you're hit with the sense that the cafe aims for you to feel comfortable and well looked after. The cafe is spacious which is a rare find amongst cafes nowadays, where more often than not, your chair is in danger of banging into another patron's with the slightest move. The result is a calm and very enjoyable atmosphere. 

The waiters were charming and apologised after handing me a juice rather than the Masala Chai ($4.50) I had ordered. The chai tea was a warming drink but the pepper/cinnamon was very overpowering, with a layer of it settling at the bottom of the cup. The Chocolate Milkshake ($6.50) was also ordered and it was tasty, frothy and not too sweet. 

I was recommended the Salmon Hash which came out after a long wait of 45 minutes. I brushed aside my hunger because I was delighted at the sight of this dish. The slightly crunchy smashed potatoes were a great match with the well cooked smoked salmon, poached egg and small bites of crunchy bacon. The overall flavour of smokiness and the rich interesting textures made this dish very filling and the perfect example of a 'feel good' meal.

The second dish that caught my eye on the menu was the Cheeseburger. It boasted a juicy beef patty, gruyere cheese, aioli and a thick tomato sauce on a sweet bun. The burger was delicious for the first few bites but after a few bites of it, I wanted to get back to the Salmon Hash. The burger was nothing special but the thing that saved this dish had to be the fried spuds. Their alternative to traditional chips, Excelsior Jones proves they know how to cook a potato and how to cook it well. These spuds were crisp and the soft potato on the inside made me question why I have never had potatoes like this before. 
Cheeseburger and Fried Spuds $16

Overall, I would recommend Excelsior Jones to family and friends.
Parking: Easy street parking
Location: Far from any public transport
Atmosphere: 8/10
Food: 7.5/10

Excelsior Jones on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment